Prenatal yoga classes are getting popular with soon to be mothers recently and for good reason too!! Prenatal yoga exercises are quite beneficial for pregnant women to keep fit. Now, you may think “keeping fit” while pregnant is a lost cause, however it is proved that prenatal yoga poses help to increase the strength and flexibility of muscles needed for child birth. Not only that, but exercises for pregnant women help the mother as well as her baby growing within her. If you are someone expecting, then there are many prenatal yoga poses that will help you to get stronger and more prepared to deliver a healthy baby.
- Why is yoga for pregnant women important?
Yoga is beneficial for anyone regardless their age or gender. The popular notion is that pregnant women should not exercise, however if monitored correctly and keeping in moderation, some simple yoga poses help pregnant women to increase her endurance of the muscles need during deliver.
- Pregnant women experience trouble falling sleep because the obvious discomfort, however prenatal yoga is proved to have reduced the stress and anxiety and improve sleep for pregnant women.
- Moreover prenatal yoga exercises help reduce the lower back pain experienced during pregnancy. They decrease the nausea, headaches and shortness of breath as well.
- Increases the flexibility and endurance ability of the muscles needed during child birth.
- On a more important note, prenatal yoga also helps in decreasing the risk of pre-term labor and intrauterine growth restriction i.e a condition in which a baby’s growth rate is slowed down.
- Exercise for pregnant women also help you bond with the new life growing within you.
- What does Prenatal Yoga Include?
The primary thing that you need to remember is to drink a lot of water before and after the work out. Please make sure that you have talked to your doctor or councilor before doing the exercises, however there many prenatal yoga experts now whom can take guidance from. The prenatal yoga exercises include –
- Breathing exercises and sitting on floor
The sitting in proper posture against the wall with your back perfectly aligned with your tail bone will help you reduce the lower back strain. You can add a cushion or a folded blanket to help you. Different breathing exercises that will make you emit deep sounds help you decrease the breathing problems.
- Stretching and prenatal yoga poses
Stretching is just done lightly by moving your neck and arms gently through full range of motions. Prenatal yoga poses are done exercise while standing, sitting or lying on the ground while you gently move your body in different positions and breathe as per instructions. These help develop strength and balance. Much time these exercises involve using support as cushion, chair or blankets.
- Relaxation and cooling down
Prenatal yoga exercises also include relaxation exercises which are beneficial to relax your muscles and breathing rhythms as well as restoring the heart rate. A repeated mantra or meditating while concentrating to the sensations within you helps you achieve that inner calm.